Top Tractor Brands In India include well-known national and international tractor names like TAFE, Mahindra & Mahindra, John Deere, Escorts, Sonalika, Swaraj, and New Holland.
Tractor, the partner of every helps them to complete their work effectively and efficiently. It is because of the modern farm machinery like tractors, India is now establishing its name in the huge markets in the world.
Top Tractor brands in India produce modern tractors for various agricultural activities. For an Indian farmer, the tractor is one of the most prized possessions.
Below you will find the list of top Tractor brands in India. Let’s start with the basics of tractors, its definition, purpose, and application in agriculture.
Tractor Definition and Meaning
A tractor by definition is a high-power, low-speed traction vehicle. Its power unit is mechanically similar to an automobile or truck but it is designed to be an off-road vehicle. The two main types of tractors are wheeled and continuous track.
Tractors are not only used in agriculture but they are deployed in construction also as bulldozers, scrapers, and diggers.
The power take-off or PTO is the vital feature of tractors. PTO or PTO shaft is used to operate stationary or drawn machinery and implements.
Most of the tractors are powered by internal-combustion engines. The engine can run on gasoline, kerosene, LPG, or diesel fuel.
Types of Tractors
Top tractor brands in India manufacture different types of tractors for different purposes. They are divided into various categories according to their purpose, construction, drive, and many other things.
Types of Tractors mostly available in India are:
- Utility Tractors
suitable for farmers who cannot afford various implements for different farming activities. Utility tractors are suitable for general-purpose tasks such as plowing or attaching other equipment through its drive. Their power ranges from 45HP to 140 HP and they generally have gasoline or diesel engines.
Utility tractors pull farm equipment including tillers, harvesters, and threshers. Leading suppliers of utility tractors are John Deere and Mahindra.
Orchard Type Tractors
They are specially designed for use in fruit orchards, nut orchards, and vineyards. Their customized design provides comfortable seating for the farmer picking high hanging fruits simultaneously.
Their great height and the design allow easy passage between tree rows. Mahindra will provide you great options for orchard type tractors like Mahindra 245 DI Orchard Tractor, and Mahindra Orchard Compact tractor.
Graden tractors are commonly used for gardening works including cutting the grass or making the flower bed. They are designed and constructed in a very small size owing to their purpose. Their engine power ranges from 1 to 10 HP and can extend up to 20 HP.
These tiny tractors have the wheels the same as the size of a scooter’s wheels, but thicker than them.
The leading names in Garden tractors are Swaraj garden tractors, John Deere garden tractors.
Row Crop Tractors
as the name suggests, row crop tractors are designed to use in farms where crops are planted in a row. This kind of tractor can be used for plowing, harvesting, leveling, harrowing, or pulling seed drills.
The advantages of row-crop tractors include greater ground clearance, easy steering moves, good row spacing, quick and easy actions of implements. They are expensive as compared to other tractors. In India, John Deere holds the largest market for row crop tractors.
Earth Moving Tractors
They are commonly used to perform earthmoving works on, construction sites, dams, and quarries. Owing to their heavy application and uses, they are strong and heavy in weight. Erath moving tractors are available in both track type and tire type.
This type is mainly used for industrial purposes. than agriculture ones. They can pull heavy loads and are fitted with cranes for the same purpose. They have slightly different technical machine designs from others. Industrial tractors have a drawbar rather than three-point linkages.
The top tractor brands in India for this type are Ford Industrial tractors, Escorts Industrial tractors, etc.
They are walking type tractors suitable for small fields on the hills. Rotary tillers are used with blades useful for setting seedbeds on the farm. Hillside farmers can give a try to Mahindra’s rotary tiller.
Apart from the types discussed above, tractors can also be classified as:
- Crawler, caterpillar, or tracklaying tractors running on two continuous tracks. They have several plates or pads pivoted together and joined, forming a pair of endless chains, each of which encircles two wheels on either side of the vehicle.
These have better adhesion and lower ground pressure as compared to the wheeled tractors. They can be used on heavy, sticky soil as well as on very light soil having a poor grip for a tire.
- Four-wheel-drive tractors are suitable for multiple soil conditions that immobilize two-wheel-drive tractors and caterpillars. Their complicated construction and consequent high cost have reduced their usage.
- The single-axle tractor commonly known as walking tractor is small and carried on a pair of wheels fixed to a single-drive axle. The operator has to walk behind, gripping a pair of handles. It has an engine in front of the axle with the tools on a bar behind. It can be used with a range of equipment like plows, hoes, cultivators, sprayers, mowers, and two-wheeled trailers.
- For heavy-duty landscaping jobs, subcompact or compact tractors are the most suitable option. They are available in a horsepower range of 15hp to 40hp. They can also be used for tasks like hauling, digging, or plowing on large gardens, fields, and pastures. Compact tractors ideal for landscaping tasks is a smaller version of utility tractors.
- The subcompact tractors are a smaller version of compact tractors. They have the power and versatility to perform a variety of tasks such as mowing, moving mulch as well as tilling.
- KISAN BILL 2020: AN AGREEMENT ON PRICE ASSURANCE AND FARM SERVICES
- SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT RULES FOR A CLEAN ENVIRONMENT
How is Tractor Used in Agriculture
Tractors are mainly used on farms to mechanize a variety of agricultural tasks. Modern farmers use tractors for plowing, tilling, and even planting fields. Tractors are now being used to mechanize farming, gardening, and excavating.
Tractors are useful for small farms as well as for regular lawn or garden work. The Wide range of tractors suits specific tasks and requirements of the farmers.
There is a wide range of models offered by top tractor brands in India. They are designed and manufactured to offer versatility in performing a wide range of tasks. For example, Compact tractors can perform tasks like gardening or simple farming but the farmer can do more by attaching various implements like front loaders or backhoes.
Their ease of transmission and operation simplify the workflow. The power steering makes turning easier and effortless. The advanced models have exclusive shift controls and an automatically responsive transmission that help reduce operator fatigue.
The Power and durability of modern tractors are typically designed with powerful engines suitable to run over rough terrain and pull heavy loads. They are effective in tough farming or landscape tasks and come with cast iron front axles for extra strength and durability.
How to Choose the Right Tractor for Your Farm?
Choosing the right tractor from the top tractor brands in India depends on several factors like cost, power, use, and drive.
The decision of buying a tractor is an important one and the buyer must be aware of all the factors worth considering before buying.
Gather knowledge about the following factors before choosing a tractor for your farm:
- Size of your farm: choose the tractor according to the size of your property. There are a variety of farm tasks to be performed. So go for the most suitable Horsepower.
- Horsepower: it is one of the important factors while choosing a tractor. It depends on the size of the farm and the variety of tasks to be performed. The manufacturers use two types of ratings to measure the power of the tractor- engine horsepower and PTO horsepower
- Be specific of the usage. Different farm tasks require different machines.
- The comfort and safety of the operator are equally important. The space between pedals and fenders should be sufficient.
- The design of the operator’s platform must be proper. Adjustable seats, fine handholds, and accessibility of controls should not be ignored.
- Check the type of transmissions. There are 2 types of transmissions-Hydrostatic transmission and Mechanical transmission. While the mechanical transmission is more power-efficient, the hydrostatic transmission provides the freedom to select any ground (or engine) speed between zero and the maximum.
Tractors Manufacturers in India
When looking for top tractor brands in India, you will come across a wide array of options. Many brands provide tractors with good quality and high customer satisfaction. Let’s have a look at some leading brands:
A well-known tractor brand in the Indian market. The company is one of the oldest agricultural equipment manufacturers. The company offers a broad range of reasonable, low maintenance, highly durable, and superior performance tractors.
The top tractor models by John Deere: John Deere 5105 (40 HP), John Deere 5050 D (50 HP), John Deere 5310 (55 HP), John Deere 5210 (50 HP).
Escorts Agri Machinery
Another popular tractor manufacturing company that is leading the market with its efficient models.
The top tractor models by Escorts: Farmtrac XP-37 Champion (37 HP), Farmtrac 6055 Classic T20 (55 HP), Powertrac 434 Plus (37 HP), Powertrac ALT 3500 (37 HP).
Mahindra and Mahindra
The Mahindra Tractors is one of the top manufacturers of agricultural and farm equipment. Mahindra Tractors give high performance with added strength and durability.
The top tractor models by Mahindra & Mahindra: Mahindra Jivo 225 DI (Upto 20 HP), Mahindra Jivo 245 DI 4WD (20-30 HP), Mahindra Yuvo 265 DI (31-40 HP), Mahindra Yuvo 575 DI (41-50 HP), Arjun Novo 605 DI-i (50 + HP )
TAFE-Tractor And Farm Equipment
TAFE tractors are strong and durable as they are made with advanced and superior technology.
The top tractor models by TAFE are: TAFE 5900 DI 2WD (56-60 HP), Eicher 5660 (50 HP), MF 9500 4WD (58 HP)
Swaraj manufactures tractors in the horsepower range of 15 HP to 60 HP.
Top models by Swaraj tractors are: Swaraj 963 FE (60 HP), Swaraj 744 FE (48 HP), Swaraj 855 FE (52 HP)
New Holland is a global agricultural machinery brand, that exports to over 70 countries in Australia, North America, Africa, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia.
Top models from New Holland are: New Holland 3630 TX Plus (55 HP), New Holland Excel 6010 (60 HP), New Holland 3032 (35 HP), New Holland Excel 4710 (47 HP).
Sonalika is the third-largest selling tractor brand in the country.
Top models from Sonalika are: Sonalika DI 60 (60 HP), Sonalika DI 30 Baagban Super (30 HP), Sonalika DI 50 RX Sikander (52 HP)
Top tractor brands in India that manufacture their tractors in India include Mahindra tractors, Kubota tractors, Preet Tractor, Standard tractors, Captain tractors, New Holland Tractors, Kubota tractors, Indo Fram Kubota tractors, Swaraj tractors, Force Tractors, Eicher tractors, Escorts tractors, and John Deere tractors, Sonalika tractors, and Gujarat tractors.
Market Share of Top Tractor Brands in India in 2020
- New Holland: market share 4%
- John Deere: market share9%
- Escorts: market share 11%
- Sonalika International Tractors Ltd: 12%
- Swaraj tractors: market share 16%
- TAFE – Tractors and Farm Equipment Limited: Market share 19%
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd: Market share 26%
Best Selling Top Tractor Brands in India 2019-20
Mahindra & Mahindra company registered 2,91,901 units in sales for the financial year 2019-20. Whereas 3,16,742 units were registered in sales during the financial year 2018-2019. The year-on-year growth came out -7.8 percent.
Tractors and Farm Equipment Limited (TAFE) registered 1,20,151 units in sales for the financial year 2019-20 which was 1,44,693 units registered during the financial year 2018-19. The total year-on-year growth -17.0 percent.
Sonalika Group registered 82,958 units in sales for the financial year 2019-20. It was 95,976 units registered in sales during the financial year 2018-09; Year-on-year growth -13.6 percent.
With -11.6% year on year growth, Escorts Group registered 82,252 units in sales for the financial year 2019-20. It was 93,087 units registered during the financial year 2018-19.